Monday, May 10, 2010

Chicago Vs. Savannah

I'm taking an architecture history class right now and for my paper that I have to write, I chose to write about the Marshall Field Wholesale Store, which if your from Chicago you know Marshall Field's is kind of a big deal. Unfortunately both the Wholesale Store and the company have been demolished and bought out. The Wholesale Store was replaced in 1930 by the now famous Merchandise Mart on Michigan Ave, where all the big stores sell their items wholesale. Not only is the Merchandise Mart used for stores, but jewelers as well as well as housing many diamond dealers. My favorite part of the Merchandise Mart are the different exhibition/shows they have every year such as The One of a Kind Show. Now, I've gotten on kind of a tangent. Now, that I'm ending my time here at SCAD, I've realized how much I appreciate it. I chose to SCAD not only for my major, but for the history as well. Savannah and Chicago are very much alike and actually have many historic ties. What I have come to appreciate about Savannah is the preservation of buildings. While I've been attempting to do research about the Marshall Field Wholesale Store, I've come to notice that Chicago has this bigger, better, mentality. We tear buildings or houses down, to make something even bigger and hopefully better. Which has its ups and downs, but what is great about Savannah is that they actually preserve their old buildings and reuse them, by giving them a new life and purpose.

I suppose I've gone on many tangents here, but while doing research I have come to realize how much I'm going to miss Savannah, yet how much more there is to learn about the great city in which I'm from. I hope I find my way back down the South to revisit these college memories and learn more about this town that I didn't have time to learn from, while being here these four crazy years.

I guess I should get back to researching and finals. I will post jewelry soon!!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment